Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Higher Education

I am setting my sites on Arts Administration.

I've been doing research to decide what Masters program at SCAD would be the best fit for me. While my ideal scenario would be to pursue a second bachelor's in Interior Design, I don't think it's feasible at this point because it's not going to build on the degrees I already have.

With my Bachelors in Hospitality and Graduate Certificate in Public Management they build on each other. Hospitality is obviously hotels, restaurants, clubs (night & country), & events. Public Management is within Political Science but helped more in learning budgets, theory of political science. My intent in obtaining that certificate was to take a non-profit organization elective course, but it didn't make. I thought non-profit would play into the event planning by way of fundraising. But, nonetheless the certifcate helped in learning how to plan budgets, etc..

Now, with a Masters in Arts Administration it builds on it even more. Arts Administration is more a Non-Profit Administration degree. It focuses on museum & facility administration, but brings in raising money for non-profits, professional business writing, arts promotion, etc. Potential careers with this Masters are facility manager, fundraising and development coordinator, special events planner and the list goes on. So, as you can see it ties in perfectly to the degrees I already hold. And, hopefully it will put me closer to opening Tidings Event Studio.

I am REALLY excited about this!! I know I am not currently using my degrees by working a job in Financial Aid, but hopefully this degree will bring me closer to pursuing my career. (Note: Financial Aid is a "job" not the "career" I hope to pursue). At least for right now my "job" makes ends meet while Kenny is in school, but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life! This Arts Administration Masters program is 45 quarter hours + a 5 quarter hour pre-requisite. It will take 2 1/2 years to complete, which is just in the time Kenny will be finished. This will give me time to finish my Masters in case we move from Savannah once Kenny graduates with his Pharm.D.

Stay tuned to see how the application process, which I hope to begin tomorrow, pans out.

P.S. In response to a previous post: the cleaning schedule has been established. Yesterday worked well; today, however, did not...

No comments:

Post a Comment