Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Plan to Smell the Roses

My father-in-law would say "prior planning prevents piss poor performance" (aka: the 6 P's). Recently I've been considering a different way to end that phrase: "prior planning prevents present appreciation"

What I mean is I'm a planner-I plan get togethers/parties (or would enjoy them if we had friends in Sav'h, lol.), plan my day, plan my weekend, plan dinner, plan my future. I plan every.single.thing. in my life. I don't just let anything take it's course. I don't live in the moment. I take my present life for granted because I'm planning my future so that our life/family is happy and successful. I'm so busy planning my next step that I don't get to enjoy what I've planned. Prior planning prevents you from enjoying the present and appreciating it.

I like to think I'm happy, at least I should be. Everything in my life is going as I, go figure, planned; but, I don't take time to embrace where I'm at and enjoy it. I think I'd be in a much happier place if I took advice from the saying: "take time to smell the roses" for a change instead of planning out my ENTIRE life.

4 comments:

  1. Balance is the key, Katie. Certain things obviously need prior planning, as it relates to weddings, work, and other functions of daily life. It might be hard since you have conditioned yourself to plan constantly, but start by picking a day of the week to just relax and decompress and not plan anything at all. It's even harder once you have kids because all your time is spent making sure they have everything they need and your time is not "yours" anymore. I wish I could give you "words of wisdom," but the last 30 years of my life have gone by in a blink. You and Kenny have accomplished so much in such a short amount of time, and I guess you are still in the "mode" of "go, go, go." It might take some readjustment, but I think you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie,
    Boy, do I ever relate, being a planner from the get-go myself! There is necessity in planning some things, without a doubt! Remember, it's the GPS way! Have you ever witnessed the outcome of an event without good planning??

    But, while planning is necessary for success in school, work, and things that require thoughtful calculations to create an outcome......the FUN part of your life can be spontaneous! You can enjoy richness in your relationships by making time to relax and have "down time"

    I call this My Pajama Day! And this is sacred ground, girly! I actually "plan" some time that I do not have to "accomplish" anything but simply enjoy wherever my mind wants to take me!

    The important lesson here is definitely this....it has taken me years to get to this point....make yours NOW! Whether it is "date night", girls night out, or KatieDidDay, Plan yourself some time to chill out and ENJOY a crazy, spontaneous relaxing time. It's called giving yourself permission! Enjoy & Hugs to you both, You're Awesome in all that you do!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love your blog, Katie! I haven't checked it in quite awhile...Enjoyed all your thoughts and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somebody quoted me! Holy crap...I must be famous...I need royalties...call my agent!

    ReplyDelete